Friday, May 14, 2010

Another Lawson Family Adventure:

It has been so wonderful to have my husband at home these past couple weeks. I love this time of year: when classes are out, finals are over, and my husband stays in his pjs until 2 in the afternoon! (He deserves it for all his hard work while in law school).

I really love going on family adventures. We've done this quite a lot since he's been out of school, but soon he'll begin his internship in Maine. We're quite excited for this opportunity; a real taste of what being a lawyer is like.

We visited the Amokseag Fishways in Manchester, NH. It's a two-floor visitors center where people can come and learn about the migration patterns of anadromous and catadromous fish, like the Atlantic salmon, sea lamprey, and the American Shad. They also have some live, native reptiles too, including the Timber rattlesnake! Who knew rattlesnakes lived in New Hampshire?!



The Fishways had a historical exhibit about the native people that lived during the 16th century. Juliette got to dress a man and woman cut-out figures in clothing that they used to wear, made from animal skins and bone.




Papa and Juliette checking out the game in the fish ladder room.

An Atlantic Salmon on one of the fish ladder's 54 steps to bypass the Amoskeag Hydroelectric Dam.

Juliette and I playing the River Game. I think I'll make my own because it was a lot of fun and we learned about the kinds of things animals and reptiles in this area eat.




I loved these learning bins, but we didn't have enough time to do them all. They also had a good size selection of puppets and a puppet theater to make up your own story!
We'll definatly go back again because there was so much to learn. For more information, see my other blog, Resourceful Mom, at: http://resourceyourself.blogspot.com/2010/05/amoskeag-fishways-public-programs.html or go to: http://www.amoskeagfishways.org/

No comments: