
I'm feeling extremely blessed right now. I have a wonderful, happy, healthy family. We are so fortunate to have a warm, safe home in a nice town. To have plenty of food to feed us all. To have a beautiful Christmas tree with presents this year.
I received an email from Juliette's PTO stating that there were several children in need of donations and without these donations they were not going to have any presents this year. I was shocked. I guess I didn't realize that there are people around us don't have the means to buy their children presents for Christmas. I thought living on a student's income was restricting; we feel the stresses of living on a tight budget constantly, but we have enough to buy presents for our family!
Then it really hit me. I recognized the man standing ahead of me at the Post Office, his almost one-year-old in his arms and his six-year-old trailing behind him. I knew the girl. She was in Juliette's kindergarten class last year.
It was so unfortunate....tragic even. I remember the day this little girl brought in a picture of her little brother, proudly carrying it around, showing it to anyone who'd listen. Juliette's teacher told me the mother had had complications after the birth. I didn't think anything of it until it was my day to volunteer again. Someone from the office staff called the teacher to the office. I stayed behind with the children and continued reading the story. The teacher came back in tears. I knew something was wrong but I never thought it was what I was about to hear. The little girl's mother had passed away.
I was shocked. The poor family...the baby boy who will never know his mother, the devestated little girl who will wonder when her mother is coming home...and her husband...I can't imagine the pain of losing a spouse.
Today I saw them together for the first time since last year. It hit so hard, I wasn't prepared for the feelings that were about to emerge. My eyes started welling up with tears. I tried to push them away, but the only thing I could think of was how hard it must be. Almost Christmas, continuing on after losing someone so close to you. I immediately thought of Annalise and Juliette. What if it were me. What if I didn't survive the birth of my daughter? I cannot imagine it, I cannot imagine the pain this poor family must have suffered.
I'm thankful for my Savior and His Atoning sacrifice. If something were to happen to one of us, I am reassured that we will be reunited. Families are sealed together forever. Not just here on earth.
And for that...I am thankful. So very thankful for my two beautiful daughters and my loving husband.
1 comment:
Such a sweet message! Thank you! I had a similar experience this year. There is SO much need in this area. We were lucky enough to find ways to serve this holiday season. It truly is a blessed thing to have a wonderful family and somewhere to be for the holidays.
Post a Comment