Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Lawson's Christmas Tree


I called around this year looking for the perfect tree (by perfect I mean inexpensive). Last year we paid $45.00 for our Christmas tree and ours was one of the least expensive on the lot. Most were in the range of $60-80 dollars, YIKES!


At the time, I thought it was a lot of money to pay for a Christmas tree because in Maine you can buy a decent looking tree for $20.00 or go into the woods and cut one down for free!


I called a local farm and was quoted anywhere from $5-100 dollars, but they weren't open past 4 p.m. and I'd have to cut it down by myself because my husband doesn't come home that early.


So after some unsuccessful attempts to find a less expensive tree, I returned to the place we went last year...the $45 dollar tree place. We looked around and around but couldn't settle on one. There was always something wrong with one of the trees. Too fat, too tall, too bare.


It appeared that the trees this year weren't as good as the one we had purchased last year.


And it wasn't all in my head either. I asked the owner about it and he said that last year he had put in his order too late and only had the Premium Grade A trees (the best, I guess). And this year he had Grade B and C and some A's. But the A's cost $80.00+


We finally chose a tree...a 10 footer almost! But we had to cut it down quite a bit to get all the dead orange needles off the bottom. It was $40.00. But the owner did the grooming himself. It turned out to be a good size tree, not too expensive, and just the right size and shape.

No comments: