Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Largest Bug in the United States



<---- That title belongs to the Giant Water Bug or also known as the "toe biter." They are predators that live in bodies of fresh water. They wait silently for their prey (frogs, fish, salamanders...thats right.....this bug eats frogs and fish!). Once within range, the bug strikes injecting its super-digestive saliva into the victim. The powerful salivia breaks down the muscle tissues, liquifiying them so the Giant Water Bug can suck them out with its "mouthparts!" (shiver)


According to a reptutable source, their bite is the most painful bite that can be inflicted of all insects! (shiver shiver)


So...this picture you see here, is one that I took after Juliette and I captured it, put it into a sandpail and studied it for about 10 mins. Without knowing much about it! Not knowing it could inflict one h*** of a bite!



So, the next time you want to jump in for a swim, remember these little guys are lurking below waiting to attack! They don't call them "toe biters" for nothing! (I think I'll stick to pools and oceans, thanks!)

And they eat these things in Thailand....

No comments: